Tuesday 2 March 2010

Kia Orana,

I am in the Cook islands!


Yesterday I arrived at the beautiful island of Rarotonga, after 6 days in the wet and expensive Windward islands of French Polynesia. Maybe it was a mistake to spend a few days on Tahiti and Morrea in a tent. It poured with rain almost every day and night. As you might expect i was a tad to tall to spread out in the (two man) tent and it was also to humid for it to be comfortable. One of lives lessons i suppose - Camping is last option in the tropics!

On Monday morning i prepared to depart the water logged campsite. As i disassembled the tent in the pouring rain one of the structural rods snapped and wind lashed my tent profusely. At that point frustrated and exhausted i decided to leave the tent behind. Not only was it now broken but clad with mud and cut grass a bio-security problem with airport Customs. Not worth the hassle. I slept Monday night on the concrete floor of Tahiti's Faaa airport. I woke up exhausted and dishevelled, checked in then headed for the flight departure lounge.

I had a pleasant flight to Rarotonga one of nine passengers on a 70 seater aeroplane. Waste really. But there were too many meals made so there were seconds. The Cook island welcome was friendly and welcoming. Rarotonga's airport baggage conveyor belt was broken so it was go and get it yourself. The weather welcoming too, hot and sunny with a cool breeze.

I have settled into my hostel - Tiera Village hostel. I would recommend it actually. I hitch hiked home from the small town centre yesterday afternoon, the first truck stopped! what service.

Cheers (kneed to learn goodbye in Maori)

Felix

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the tent. Was that the one Hugo gave you? Im sure any bed in a hostel would be better than what you have endured. Ive been in Cabo San Lucas for the last week and its been very nice. I did sell my boat to a guy down here. Its a 12.5 foot inflatable with a 15 hp Yamaha. I'll miss it but had to move it on. Im trying to sell off a few things and simplify things. Tommorow we take a ride down the beach and try some fishing. Hope we get something. Take care and be careful out there.

    ReplyDelete