Friday 12 March 2010

Kia Orana,

The sky is blue, the sand is a white coral Crush and the lagoon is like walking through a gold fish bowl, full of tropical fish.

I had some time to rest, sleeping in a bit longer etc... and got to know some people at my hostel. Mums plane got in Monday morning. I stood directly behind the airstrip as the huge 767 landed about 100 yards in front of me. The kind of thing me and Russ would do in California! You can almost touch the plane and the jet blast is huge! Loads of locals turn up for the event night or day.

Its mums first taste of tropical paradise, The fruit - Paw Paw, Coco nuts, Mango's and Melons are fantastic! Parented by New Zealand, the Cook islands enjoy convenience goods that the western world do, making pretty much everything expensive (due to high import taxes) except local fruit and vegetables. Land is inherited and not sold but leased for no longer than 60 years. The basic necessities of life are provided by dependency on Taro, a common staple in the diet of Polynesians. I went to an Umu a traditional Maori feast of Chicken, Palu Sami and Taro cooked under banana leaves in the ground on hot rocks. I did not eat for a day after!

We fly to Atiu on Monday. Six meter raised coral cliffs surround the coast (known as a Makatea) and located 187 km north east of Rarotonga, the island of Birds, Maori Warriors, Caves and Coffee. It will be an interesting island to visit. A small population compared to any wear in the UK - only 700 people. As tourism has not taken hold on Atiu i have read that visitors are treated as Guests not tourists.

Will upload more photos soon...

Cheers,

Felix

4 comments:

  1. Hi Felix & Pansy!
    Anna, Andy, Alan & I are all sitting around a
    log fire having sloe gin and cappuccino cups and
    thinking of you both. Wish we were with you!
    Just read your blog - sounds fantastic runway
    experience Felix - BUT BE CAREFUL!! Have fun
    together darlings! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Felix and Pansy So glad to hear that you have arrived safely Pansy and now that you are with Felix you can RELAX properly and start to feel better than you have of late.
    The Cook Islands sound delightful and knowing how adventurous you to are as well as being people persons you will be sure to have a fantastic time.
    Felix you looked like Kimmy,Tourika and Kimmy's older brother (uncanny)! Big hugs to you both from us all, feel dead jealous- freezing here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Felix,

    Hope you remember me - black, American fellow named Nathan, met you at the beach fale resort named Stevenson's in Savai'i with my friends Dan (asian guy), Zac, and the big surfer named Matt. We all were taking a break from teaching the year in (American) Samoa.

    There was also a bloke from Switzerland there, forgot his name I'm afraid. Bit flamboyant if I remember correctly.

    I am terribly sorry for writing to you so late. Better late then never I suppose. I am addicted to your blog!! Fascinating stuff mate!! Please keep writing, and while I'm sure you will, know that what might be your everyday is quite inspiring stuff for the rest of us reading.

    I have the picture of us that one of the bartenders snapped. I'm not quite sure how to upload it on here, but I will try to find a way. I did request your friendship on Facebook, so as not to solidify our platonic relationship, but so I could send you the picture in that medium.

    Funny, you left Brighton, and that is where I am going next!! I got into University of Sussex for a 1-year MA History program, and I think that offer is too good to pass up, as I've always fancied living in England for a year. While I realize studying will come first, I will try to make it to as many Brighton Albion FC games as possible (whilst they're complete rubbish), and take in Brighton's nightlife (its the Los Angeles of the UK, remember?). Any advice, tips, pointers, would be greatly appreciated.

    While I am sure to spend a few years after using my new degree, more than likely teaching History in Kenya to spend time with my father's family, I am already lining up my next big adventure after. Keep writing, to keep making me jealous and follow suit.

    Yours in Mediocrity,
    Nathan
    (the black bloke from the beach resort in Savai'i)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi nathan, just be warned, brighton is more the san fransisco of the uk, if you get my drift. still a great place tho

    ReplyDelete