Monday 14 December 2009

Marlo (informal Hi)

Thank you for your comments, I will try and upload a map of wear i am but if you look on Google Earth you can search Samoa etc...and find wear in the world i am.

I joined the SV Southern Cross Saturday. I met Graham Wragg the owner and leader of Pacific Expeditions, The captain Paul Green and also Claire a conservationist, Glen another type of Bio-diversity conservationist, Tom the deckhand i am replacing, Ray the joint (with Graham) leading Ornithologist Scientist and Jullian who was making a documentary on there trip in exchange for passage to Pitcairn from Mangareva in late January. Apart from Jullien they are all Kiwis. Jullien is a Pommy how we are called over here.

The trip that the scientists have just completed has been rat and Ferrel cat elimination in the Pheonix islands. South East East of Tarawa, Kiribati. The islands are uninhabited following the collapse in a Copra plantation not nuclear testing! The rats and Ferrel Cats threaten bird populations on the islands.

The boat is in good condition, we have been anchored in the Harbor but moved into the harbor this morning. The skiff (tender) is a RIB with an 18 hoarse power engine. Quite fun but you have to be careful.

I am respected and given shore leave etc... Pacific expeditions paid for my dinner out the other night and food etc... is paid for on board. Captain Paul has been fare so far and always offers me beer etc and food...and answers my questions but i always try to use my common sense. He told me he is Dyslexic which is a great help in understanding each other. He doesn't smoke so that helps the on board environment.

I am really learning as i have made it clear i want this sea time counted as i want to get qualified. I kneed to get my Yacht master international ticket too to be a skipper but the experience is important but i will see as time go's on what i want etc...

We are replenishing the ship, cleaning etc...and will set sail for Tahiti late December. Most the passengers have left now and flown back to New Zealand and Australia. Graham has flown back to Rarotonga. Paul is going too this week for a holiday. So i will be left with the boat. Just learning everything so i can get by and sort things out.

Will write again soon

Cheers,

Felix

6 comments:

  1. Amazing pictures and blog Felix. Good experience your having out there. I think to be a skipper you "need" alot of experience. You have to experience every situation out at sea and how to adapt to it and that takes alot of time.
    Im looking forward to the Cabo trip in Feb. I might do a blog on youtube on the trip. We plan on placing literature all the way down and getting video and pics of it. It might make an interesting blog. In the mean time Im still working and getting things in order. Tough times these say in the U.S. trying to make a bucks. Did I ever tell you there is a brother out here that lives on a sail boat? I think its about 35 foot long. Ive been out a few times to catalina Island and once to San Clemente Island. Sailing Is alot of Work! Im amazed you can go for weeks at a time. Well good job and keep blogging and adding pictures. See you later. Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking of Dyslexia- I have started spelling visible 'VISABLE'. What amazes me felix is that you are unphased by the spelling of Ornithologist but struggle with spelling 'where' as in location!
    Xsdylics UNITE!

    So proud of your continuing adventure! Don't go mad in the rib, they can flip.
    Keep updating - you have a following now.

    Love,

    Hugo (and Jess - she's making breakfast)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Felix this is all so exciting! Lovely pictures. I am so proud of you. I miss you but it is so cold here Im pleased that you are on a nice warm boat and not sleeping in the shed. Its even too cold for Hamish who is spending most of his time asleep under a lamp in the kitchen. Very frustrating not being able to hear you yesterday when I was in Oxford. Every where i went I seemed to be followed around by a refuse truck and couldnt escape it. I will speak soon. I miss you and love you but I am very happy for you. Mummy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad the Pheonix islands are not uninhabited due to nuclear testing!

    Great to hear about your experiences so far. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought I would let you know whats happeneing here.Ive got an unusual lot of guests- 3 contractors, 1 social worker for 6 weeks! The CO and wife and Price Charming from the panto on the Peir! (Cinderella). We wont be having a party. No one in your shed at the moment. Where have you put my neon lights you borrowed? Beach House Park looks utterly miserable at the moment. Oh and Joe Mceldery won the xfactor. Please make sure you eat properly and if there is any sign of a tsunami run to the hills. I suppose being in a boat helps. I love you xx Mum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Felix great to read of somewhere the sun is shining. You must get your sailing papers and take us to slightly closer islands! I have just got back from taking a three day course to be able to handel dangerous goods. It will cost a lot less to send chemicals to the third world now that I am certified. Krisia will write soon. all the best
    Sam

    ReplyDelete